Curried Lamb Burgers with Mint Raita
We bought some wonderful grassfed ground lamb and as we love Indian flavors we decided to try these burgers. They were amazing. My husband said it was his favorite burger ever. They were easy to make and delicious too.
Makes 6 Burgers
* 1 cup organic plain whole-milk yogurt (preferably Greek-style)
* 3 tablespoons chopped fresh organic mint
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh organic cilantro
* 1 1/4 teaspoons finely grated organic lime peel
* Coarse kosher salt
* 2 tablespoons organic olive oil
* 1 1/4 cups chopped organic onion
* 1 teaspoon coarse celtic or kosher salt
* 2 teaspoons organic curry powder, mild or spicy, your choice
* 1 3/4 pounds ground pastured, grassfed lamb
* 3 tablespoons chopped fresh organic cilantro
* 1 teaspoon organic black pepper
*Mix yogurt, mint, cilantro, and lime peel in small bowl. Season to taste with coarse salt and pepper. Cover; chill until cold, at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
* Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt. Sauté until onion is tender, about 8 minutes. Mix in curry powder and stir 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Cool onion mixture to room temperature, at least 15 minutes.
*Place lamb in large bowl. Add onion mixture, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, cilantro, and 1 teaspoon cracked pepper. Blend mixture gently; shape into six 1/2-inch-thick patties.
*Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Place burgers on grill. Cook until grill marks appear, about 4 minutes. Turn burgers over. Cook burgers to desired doneness, about 4 minutes for medium-rare.
*Serve with rice, pita bread or even a bun, with the Riata on top, or on the side as you prefer. Enjoy!
Read more, great Fight Back Friday posts here: http://www.foodrenegade.com/fight-back-friday-september-3rd/
Read more, great Pennywise Platter Thursday posts here: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2010/09/pennywise-platter-thursday-92-2.html
Read more, great Real Food Wednesday posts here: http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2010/09/real-food-wednesday-9110.html