We’ve had a great bumper crop of tomato’s this year, so I pulled this recipe out of my files. We’ve made it every summer for a number of years now and it’s always a treat.
• 6 tlbs. Organic Olive Oil
• 1 medium organic Onion cut into 1/4-inch slices
• 1 medium organic carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
• Celtic salt or sea salt and fresh cracked organic pepper to taste
• Hot Pepper flakes to taste (optional)
• 5 cloves organic garlic, chopped
• 4 pounds ripe, fragrant organic heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
• 1/4 C chopped organic Basil
Heat large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
Add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, the onion, and carrot and season with a pinch of salt and red pepper flakes. Cover and gently cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes and stir to combine. Cover again and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are very juicy, 10-15 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
Add the basil and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in remaining Olive Oil. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. If it’s too acidic, you can add a pinch of rapadura, if it’s too sweet a drop of red wine vinegar.
If you would like a thicker sauce cook down until it reaches the desired consistency.
Serve over any type of pasta – we use organic whole wheat or organic rice pasta – and enjoy!
Read more, great Fight Back Friday posts here: http://www.foodrenegade.com/fight-back-friday-september-10th/
Read more, great, Pennywise Platter Thursday posts here: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2010/09/pennywise-platter-thursday-99.html
Read more great, Real Food Wednesday posts here: http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2010/09/real-food-wednesday-9810.html