Gluten and Sugar Free Brownies
I found this recipe, which I tweaked a little in a wonderful out of print cookbook, The Low Carb Gourmet by Karen Barnaby. You can make a half recipe in a 8” square pan as well. These were really good.
- 10 ounces organic cream cheese, at room temperature
- 16 tablespoons pastured/organic butter, at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- Stevia liquid or powder to equal 1 cup of Sugar (I use 1 tablespoon powder)
- 4 large, organic and pastured eggs
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure chocolate extract (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal (finely ground almonds – I make ours from crispy almonds)
- 6 tablespoons organic Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoons Celtic sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and Butter until smooth. Beat in the chocolate and sweetener. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping the bowl well after each addition. Add the coffee and extracts. Beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix the almond meal, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Add to the chocolate mixture and beat well. Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is firm. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Per Brownie, if cut into 24 servings: Effective carbohydrates: 3 grams each. Enjoy!
Read more, great Monday Mania posts here: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/2011/10/monday-mania-10312011/
Read more, great Fat Tuesday posts here: http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/fat-tuesday-november-1-2011/
Read more, great Real Food Wednesday posts here: http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2011/11/real-food-wednesday-1122011.html
Read more, great Simple Lives Thursday posts here: http://gnowfglins.com/2011/11/02/simple-lives-thursday-68/
Read more, great Fight Back Friday posts here: http://www.foodrenegade.com/fight-back-friday-november-4th/