Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
I’ve been making a lot of homemade chicken broth lately and as I use a whole chicken, I end up with a lot of leftover meat. Sometimes I make chicken salad out of it, but I decided to try something different. This did take some time, but it was delicious.
* Prep Time: 1 hr
* Total Time: 1 3/4 hrs
* Servings: 6-8
o 1 cup organic potatoes, peeled and diced
o 1 cup organic yellow onions, diced or 1 cup pearl onions
o 1 cup organic carrots, diced
o 1 cup organic mushrooms, sliced
o ½ cup organic celery, diced
o ½ cup organic parsley, chopped
o 2 cloves organic garlic, diced
o 1/3 cup melted organic butter or coconut oil
o 1/2 cup organic all-purpose flour
o 2 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
o 1 cup organic half-and-half (or ½ c. raw milk, ½ cup raw cream)
o 1 teaspoon Celtic or sea salt
o 1/4 teaspoon pepper
o 4 cups organic, pastured chicken, cooked and chopped
o 2 pie crusts ( either store bought or your own recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Sauté onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in butter for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and parsley during the last minute or so.
3. Add flour to sautéed mixture, stirring well, cook one minute stirring constantly.
4. Combine broth and half and half.
5. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
6. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
7. Stir in salt and pepper; add chicken and stir well.
8. Pour into shallow 3 quart casserole dish and top with pie shells.
9. Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
10. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.
Read more, great Fight Back Friday posts here: http://www.foodrenegade.com/fight-back-friday-march-18th/
Read more, great Simple Lives Thursday posts here: http://gnowfglins.com/2011/03/16/simple-lives-thursday-35/
Read more, great Real Food Wednesday posts here: http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2011/03/real-food-wednesday-31611.html
Read more, great Hearth and Soul Hop recipes here: http://amoderatelife.com/2011/03/hearth-and-soul-hop-volume-39/
Read more, great Monday Mania posts here: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/2011/03/monday-mania-3142011/