Photo: ZUMA Press
GMO’s in the news
I haven’t had a news update lately, there’s a lot to share!
Did you know that your Vitamin C is most likely made from GMO corn?
For more than a year now, supplements manufacturers have watched quietly as
an angry chorus has risen up against genetically modified organisms. So far,
though, GMO questions have stayed planted in the produce and grocery
sections of natural products stores.
But now one small but vocal retailer concerned about GMOs in the environment
has started asking his supplements suppliers if there are GMOs in the
vitamin C he sells. The answers he says he’s gotten have ranged from “we
don’t think so but we don’t know for sure” to “probably.” That’s not good
enough for Joe Lemieux, owner of the 2,500-square-foot Go To Health store in
“People think that health food stores are a kind of haven from things like
GMOs,” Lemieux said. “That’s why this issue is so explosive, because I can’t
tell them that the vitamin C is made without GMOs.” He’s not saying the
products are unsafe, but he says that genetically modified crops are bad for
the environment, and the agriculture business needs to get that message from
consumers and retailers, which is why he’s taking a stand in his store.
Lemieux still stocks vitamin C but is telling his own customers not to buy
the products, and he’s letting others in the industry know about his
boycott–through word-of-mouth and a Web site that deals with organic
issues–until someone can make a non-GMO vitamin C.
You can read the rest, here: http://www.organicconsumers.org/Organic/vitccontro.cfm
And there are a few brands of Non-GMO vitamin C
Source Naturals is making one:
As is Cardiovascular Research. We’ve been using this one:
China rejects U.S. corn cargo, citing GMOs
China has rejected a cargo of U.S. corn after finding it contained an unsanctioned genetically modified strain, two sources familiar with the situation said on Friday.
“China only allows 11 varieties of GM corn to be imported to the country, and the cargo was found with GM material outside the 11 varieties,” said one source, who declined to be identified.
“The animal and plant quarantine department has barred it from entering China,” the source said. He said it was supplied by a Japanese trading house.
The cargo of 50,000-60,000 tonnes was shipped to a port in the China’s southern province of Guangdong in September. The problem was detected only in October, the same source said.
China’s first ever rejection of a U.S. corn cargo, if confirmed, risks deepening a trade spat with the United States and a bigger diplomatic row with Japan.
Top 10 ways to avoid GMOs
Maria Rodale explains how to stay away from genetically modified organisms.
This month, October, is Non-GMO Month. I find most people are really confused about what a GMO is and where GMOs are found. Some people tend to think that GMO seeds are similar to the type of hybridization that has been going on amongst gardeners for centuries. Not true! The type of genetic modification that happens to create GMO seeds involves the forceful insertion of things like E.coli genes or genes that produce glyphosphate (an herbicide) or cause Roundup resistance (allowing farmers to dump more Roundup onto the plants) into corn and soybeans and cotton.
GMOs exist for one reason only: for the chemical companies who make them to enable themselves to sell more chemicals to farmers. Do not, I repeat, do not fall for any marketing sales efforts that claim GMOs will help feed the world and save farmers from drought. It’s a lie!!!!
And remember, as I write in “Organic Manifesto,” the only safety testing on humans or animals for GMOs is happening right now, on you, on your kids, and on farm animals around the world. Early results are showing everything from digestive failure to kidney and liver failure and accelerated aging. Terrible stuff.
Here are 10 ways to avoid GMOs:
1. Buy USDA-certified organic food. It is currently the only official way you can avoid GMOs, since GMOs are not allowed to be used according to USDA organic regulations. THANK YOU, GOVERNMENT! (For once!)
2. Avoid all nonorganic soy products like the plague. That means things like nonorganic veggie burgers, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and miso products.
3. Don’t buy anything that claims to be “non-dairy” that isn’t organic. Soy is used to create everything from Cool Whip to Coffee-Mate…in addition to the obvious non-dairy soy treats in your health-food store freezer. Yup, they are filled with GMOs, too.
4. Don’t buy or eat anything with corn in it that isn’t organic. That means corn chips, cereals with corn (or soy, for that matter), or even corn bread!
5. At all costs, eliminate high-fructose corn syrup (a.k.a. “corn sugar”) from your diet. It is just an excuse for chemical companies to convince farmers they can keep growing GMO corn and poisoning you and your family.
6. Avoid biofuels and ethanol; they’re a toxic GMO festival. No one seems to care if corn is poisoned if it’s just going to drive our cars. Problem is, we are all being poisoned by it.
Read the rest here:
We just finished the first ever Non-GMO month in October. Let’s make it a Non-GMO year!
Read more, great Fight Back Friday posts here: http://www.foodrenegade.com/fight-back-friday-november-5th/
Read more, great Pennywise Platter Thursday posts here: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2010/11/pennywise-platter-thursday-114.html
Read more, great Real Food Wednesday posts here: http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2010/11/real-food-wednesday-11310-2.html