Amish Bread pudding
This is a very easy, basic recipe. I’ve used everything from organic challah raisin bread to whole wheat bread and they all come out wonderfully. You can use berries, chopped apples or most any other fruit instead of the raisins.
2 cups whole organic milk (or 2 cups half & half) – preferably unpasturized
¼ cup organic butter
2/3 cup organic sugar, sucanat or rapudura
4 organic pastured eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
4 cups bread, torn into small pieces
½ cup organic raisins
1. In medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat milk (or half & half) just until film forms over top. Combine butter and milk, stirring until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat with a whisk for one minute.
3. Place bread in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
4. Sprinkle with raisins if desired. Pour batter on top of bread.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm, room temperatures or cold. It’s good at all temperatures.
Read more great, Pennywise Platter Thursday posts here: http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2010/04/pennywise-platter-thursday-48.html
Read more great, Real Food Wednesday posts here: http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2010/04/real-food-wednesday-4710.html